Basbousa is a sweet semolina cake. Its origin is from Middle eastern Dessert. In some other regions, it also called namoura or revani. Now, we are going to offer you the method to make it at home.
You might have tried a lot of savory Middle eastern Dishes. Now try this dessert as well.
There are so many sweets and desserts from all over the world, which you can make at home.
Each and every dessert is delicious and have a different taste and flavour to it, making it unique.
While I love indulging in Indian Mithais, there are also days when I crave big time for something different.
So when this craving for a Turkish dessert started out of a sudden last weekend, I thought of trying my hands on something new.
As there are not many places who sells authentic Arabic desserts, I made this delectable Basboosa or Basbousa Cake at home.
Though I was skeptical about the result, it came out just perfect.
So if you also love Middle Eastern desserts as much as I do, learn how to make this Besbousa recipe and surprise your friends and family with this delectable homemade dessert.
What is Basbousa?
Basboosa is a soft and super moist Turkish dessert which is quite popular in Middle Eastern countries and each country has their own way of making this irresistible dessert.
This is basically a sweet semolina cake which is flavoured with coconut and orange zest.
Another beauty of this cake is the sugar syrup.
Once the semolina cake is prepared, the lemon flavoured syrup is poured over the cake, making it more delicious.
The cake soaks up the syrup and makes it very moist.
Coconut is one of the essential ingredients in this dessert, but you can skip the coconut and make a Basbousa Dessert recipe without coconut too.
You don’t require any fancy ingredients for this Arabic dessert, you will easily find them in the grocery store nearby.
For the Syrup:
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- For the Cake:
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Yogurt
- 1/2 cup Melted Butter
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp an extract of vanilla
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Desiccated Coconut
- 1-1/2 cup Fine Semolina
- 1 tbsp Orange Zest
- 10-12 Blanched Almonds
For the Syrup:
- Add sugar and water in a pan.
- Cook until sugar is dissolved. Sim the heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and mix well. Remove the pan from heat and keep aside.
For the Cake:
- To 350 degrees, Preheat the oven Fahrenheit (180 degrees C).
- Line and grease a 9×11 inch baking tray.
- Add eggs and sugar in a bowl and whisk well.
- Add yogurt and whisk until combined.
- Add melted butter and vegetable oil and whisk well.
- Add vanilla extract, baking powder, all purpose flour, desiccated coconut, semolina and orange zest and mix everything well.
- Pour the batter in the prepared tray.
- Using a sharp knife, make diamond shape marks on the batter.
- Arrange almond halves over the cake.
- Until a toothpick comes out clean, it would bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven.
- Run a sharp knife over the marks once again.
- Pour sugar syrup over the warm cake and let the cake cool down completely.
- Take out the diamond shape pieces and serve.
* You will receive the latest news and updates on your favorite celebrities!