HOW TO MAKE A RED VELVET LAYER CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
1. After my cakes baked and that i allow them to cool, trim off the domes of your cakes to form them flat. Place your first layer on a cake board
or large flat plate.
2. Add an enormous scoop of your cheese frosting and spread it onto your cake layer using
an offset spatula. I make my frosting about 1/4″ thick. Then place another
layer of cake on top. Repeat with the ultimate layer.
3. Spread more of your frosting during a thin layer everywhere the cake. this is often called
the crumb coat and literally seals altogether the
crumbs in order that they don’t get into your final
coat of frosting. Freeze cake for 20 minutes to harden the crumb coat.
4. Add another layer of buttercream to your chilled cake and smooth with a
bench scraper or off-set spatula. A turntable helps tons with
5. Next, crumble up your cake domes and add them to the
highest of your cake and sides as decoration.
6. Finish your cake with some small dollops of buttercream round
the outside edge! All done!
Red Velvet Cake Ingredients
- 14 ounces (397 g) AP flour
- 14 ounces (397 g) Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons (2 Tbsp) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon (1 tsp) salt
- 1 teaspoon (1 tsp) baking soda
- 2 large (2 ) eggs room temp
- 4 ounces (114 g) vegetable oil
- 8 ounces (227 g) buttermilk room temp
- 1 Tablespoons (1 Tbsp) white vinegar
- 6 ounces (170 g) unsalted butter melted but not hot
- 1 teaspoons (1 tsp) vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon (1 Tbsp) super red food coloring I prefer americolor super red because it doesn’t have a taste
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
- 12 ounces (340 g) cream cheese softened
- 8 ounces (227 g) unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 teaspoon (1/2 tsp) orange extract
- 1/4 teaspoon (1/4 tsp) salt
- 26 ounces (737 g) powdered sugar sifted
Red Velvet Cake Instructions
• Preheat oven to 350F and prepare two 8″ cake pans or three 6″ cake pans with cake goop or preferred pan spray.
Make sure your cold ingredients are all temperature . See notes at rock bottom of the recipe for details.
• Lightly whisk together your temperature eggs, oil, buttermilk, vinegar, melted butter, vanilla and coloring and put aside .
• Combine flour, sugar, bicarbonate of soda , chocolate and salt into the bowl of your stand mixer
• Add your egg mixture into your flour mixture and blend on medium speed for a few minute until combined
• Divide batter into cake pans and bake for about 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out cleanly. Pairs perfectly with our cheese buttercream.
Cream Cheese Frosting Instructions
• Place softened butter within the bowl of your stand mixer with the whisk attachment and cream on low until smooth and has no lumps.
• Place softened cheese within the bowl with butter in small chunks and cream on low until smooth and combined
• Add in sifted granulated sugar one cup at a time until combined, mixing on low
• Add your orange extract and salt
• Frost your cooled cake as desired and serve at temperature . cheese frosting should be refrigerated until a couple of hours (2-3) before the cake is served.
* You will receive the latest news and updates on your favorite celebrities!