Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe
The bottom of this post also contains recipe card with ingredients and full instructions.
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 2-1/2 pounds stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3-6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons cold butter, separated
- 2 cups yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup high-quality cabernet sauvignon, merlot works as well. See below for non-alcoholic substitute options
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 tsp better than bouillon, or 2 beef bouillon cubes. This adds depth of flavor to the broth.
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 5 medium carrots, cut into ¼ inch cubes
- 1 lb. baby Yukon gold potatoes, halved or quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large branch rosemary
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup Cold Water + 3 tablespoons Corn Starch (Optional)
- 3 drops Kitchen Bouquet Browning + Seasoning Sauce (Optional)- Adds an even richer darker color.
- Combine flour, black pepper, flavorer , and flavorer . Toss the meat within the flour mixture to coat. Heat vegetable oil during a pot over medium-high heat. Sear the meat in batches for one – two minutes per side and transfer to the Slow Cooker.Coating beef in flour mixture and searing during a skillet to form Slow Cooker stew .Melt 1 Tablespoon of butter and soften the onions and garlic, scraping up any meat remnants up from the pot. Add a splash of wine to assist loosen if necessary. Transfer to the Slow Cooker.Seared Beef during a Slow Cooker next to sauteed onions during a pot.Add all remaining ingredients apart from the peas, corn starch, and a couple of Tablespoons of cold butter. Heat on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours, until the vegetables are softened and therefore the potatoes are fork tender.Add the peas during the last quarter-hour of cooking. To thicken, combine 1/4 cup cold water + 3 Tablespoons corn starch and slowly stir it into the broth. it'll still thicken upon standing. close up heat and take away the bay leaves and rosemary stem.Slow Cooker stew before and after cooking.PRO TIP: Swirl in 2 Tablespoons of cold butter for a smooth, velvety finish. this is often a way that chefs use called “monter au beurre”.Best Potatoes for StewYukon Gold and Red Potatoes are best for stews as they need less starch content and delay far better than russet potatoes, which tend to disintegrate and break down into the stew.Searing the MeatSearing the meat adds a pleasant color, flavor, and texture for the stew, it also creates a pleasant base to melt up the onions and garlic. The remnants from the meat are loosened up with butter/wine and transferred to the Slow Cooker for the last word flavor base.Be sure to sear just long enough to offer the outside a crisp texture, don’t cook it all the way through. 1-2 minutes per side is all it takes.Can You Put Raw Beef within the Slow Cooker?Yes. If you don’t have time to sear the meat, you'll toss it within the flour mixture and place it right within the Slow Cooker along side the uncooked onions and garlic.Best Cuts of Beef for StewChuck roasts (the best option)Rump roastsBottom roundsThe above cuts of meat got to be cooked low and slow so as to interrupt down and become tender. That’s why stew may be a perfect recipe for the Slow Cooker.Red Wine SubstituteAn equal amount of beef stock or red fruit juice could also be used rather than wine, along side 2 Tablespoons of wine Vinegar. The acidity helps to interrupt down and tenderize the meat.For an Irish twist on this recipe, use 1 cup of additional stout Guinness rather than wine.StorageStore in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to three days or freeze for up to three months.My Crock Pot RecommendationI got this Crock Pot on Amazon and absolutely like it because you'll sear meat right the stove-top.It automatically switches to warm once the cooking time is up, which is hugely convenient when you’re out of the house.
* You will receive the latest news and updates on your favorite celebrities!