One of my top five favorite food of all time. Cheese Spinach Broccoli Stromboli is SO YUMMY. Guests at a party will go ape and it’s also a great family dinner option.
What’s is Stromboli?
Stromboli is fusion food having an Italian-American origin. It’s filled with mozzarella and meats or vegetables. The dough used can be either bread dough or pizza dough. This is after the volcanic island Stromboli, so I venture a guess that it’s because stromboli erupts with volcanically hot cheese if you’re not careful.
How is my stromboli made?
This stromboli is prepared by homemade pizza dough made using whole wheat and all-purpose flour and later rolling up with cheese and sauteed spinach and is baked until it’s hot and bubbly. It was very easy, and my husband and son loved it. This pizza dough made using 1:1 whole wheat and the all-purpose flour, the dough will make for a nice, puffy stromboli roll that’s crusty on the outside but soft and doughy on the inside. Its served with a side of marinara sauce. which can be made easily at home or can be brought at the store.
If you don’t want to make pizza dough at home then the easiest thing is to buy a fresh one at your grocery store. I have made this several times and it is always a hit with my family! It is incredible! We had a friend over at our house when it came out of the oven and the four of us stood at the kitchen counter and devoured almost the entire thing as if we wear hungry animal jumping on its food. I absolutely know for a fact you can totally “win” friends with, here is my recipe for delicious, easy-to-adapt Spinach Broccoli Stromboli. This recipe also includes a recipe of marinara sauce.
For making 2 dough for strombolis
- 1 and a half whole wheat flour
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch of garlic powder
- Dried basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3/4 Cup of warm water
For making filling for two strombolis
- Shredded mozzarella cheese 1 cup
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Feta cheese 1/4 cup
- 4 cups of spinach
- 1 cup of chopped broccoli florets
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup of whole wheat flour, Active dry yeast, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
If desired, add garlic powder and dried basil.
- Add warm water and mix well, Leave this mixture for proofing for 10 minutes.
- Gradually add 1/2 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup of all-purpose flour, stirring until the dough is forming into a cohesive, elastic ball and is beginning to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Knead well using hands for 10 minutes.
- Place the dough into an oiled bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled, about half an hour.
- While the dough rests, prepare for filling.
- Sauté broccoli and garlic in olive oil. Once broccoli gets tender add spinach and cook.
- Add seasonings to taste. Mix feta cheeses with spinach.
- Preheat oven at 420 F.
- Divide dough into two equal portions.
- Roll into oval shape of 12 inches long using your rolling pin, transfer the dough on to a baking pan.
- Layer spinach mixture the center and add mozzarella cheese.
- Cut each side of pizza dough to make 1″ strips with a knife or pizza cutter.
- Fold the top end first, then bring the strips from each side to make criss-cross pattern one strip at a time.
- When it comes to the other end, fold the end and finish the final 1-2 last strips to secure.
- Drizzle a little olive oil and sprinkle oregano and cheese and bake at 420 F for about 8-14 minutes or until it forms a nice golden brown crust. Brush with garlic butter when you take them out.
- DO NOT forget to serve the Stromboli with warm marinara sauce to dip
* You will receive the latest news and updates on your favorite celebrities!